Mary Pickford in her victory garden - Photos - ca. 1917

Mary with a hose.

Mary inspecting limes.

These photos show, at least according to an article in the September 3, 1917 Artcraft Advance, Mary in the victory garden she created at her California bungalow in which she tended with the help of a "real farmer." In the article, Mary (or perhaps the Artcraft publicity department) stated "This is the first time I have ever given any personal attention to the nursing of a bean or a potato, and if I do not make a good Rebecca [of Sunnybrook Farm] it will not be because of lack of farm mannerisms." Photographer unknown. 1917. Part of NZ Photo Album.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I also have this photo and another taken during the same session. On the back of mine, it is written, "Mary Pickford in Artcraft Pictures". I saw another on eBay about 2 years ago, it was a photo taken during the same session, of Mary with Owen Moore. It went for a good price and I was out bid. Kind Regards, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a number of shots in this "Mary in her garden" series -- who knows if it's really her garden. I saw a collage of a few others in a magazine from 1919, but if yours is marked Artcraft, I'd imagine they're actually pre-1918 then. I have one other in my collection, and that's the photo of Mary next to a lime tree. As far as eBay, it's almost impossible to get anything on there anymore unless you're a millionaire!

      Delete