Books from Mary Pickford's Library


These books originate from Mary Pickford's personal library. Three One-Act Plays by Oliphant Down, Everychild by Gertrude Fulton Tooker, and Mary Rose by J. M. Barrie.



Three One-Act Plays (The Dream-Child, Bal Masque, and Tommy-by-the-Way" by Capt. Oliphant Down, M.C. - 4th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment. Published by Gowans & Gray, Ltd., London and Glasgow, and Leroy Phillips, Boston, USA. 1923. Inscribed on front free endpaper, "To Miss Pickford, With Best Birthday Wishes for April 8th, 1925. Janet Esme Vernon."

It is worth noting that Janet Esme Vernon, a young stage actress from England, was quite the fan of Mary Pickford. Indeed, at least two elaboate, decorated scrapbooks that she put together remain, one with the Mary Pickford Foundation, the other in the Academy’s Margaret Herrick Library. In the August 1928 issue of Picture-Play magazine, she wrote, “There is one actress in particular whom I shall always hold as my favorite—Mary Pickford. I think it is her delightfully human mannerisms and gestures which appeal to me. She is always so sweet and fresh, and her smile is so gloriously good. There is no one else in the films like her, and there never could be. I have had the good fortune to meet her twice during her visits to England, and to shake hands with her. I can honestly say that her personality is ever bit as lovely as t is on the screen. The first time I met her, I was struck with her charm and grace of manner. I was only an awkward, lanky girl with a pigtail then, and terribly shy; but she showed me as much courtesy as if I had been a member of the nobility . . .”



Mary Rose by J. M. Barrie published by Charles Scribner's Sons, New York. 1924. Stamped on front free endpaper, "Mary Pickford Studios / Hollywood, Cal."



Everychild by Gertrude Fulton Tooker published by the Bobbs-Merrill Company, Indianapolis. 1914.

No comments:

Post a Comment