Mary Pickford at Camp Kearny, CA - RPPC and Photo 1918

Mary Pickford, Honorary Colonel & Godmother of the He-Men--the 143rd Field Artillery of the California National Guard-- was the guest of honor at Camp Kearny, San Diego County CA on February 9, 1918. These troops can be seen in Mary's film Johanna Enlists. All are RPPC with the exception of the smallest photo. I assume these were issued by the Kearny Photo Service but I can not say with all certainty. Gifted from the Pamela Short Collection.

Mary on Dotty Dimple (erroneously identified here as Dolly,) an old race horse that was the "pet of the regiment." 

Colonel Ralph J. Faneuf presents Mary with a loving cup from the 143rd. In her address to her regiment that day, Mary said, "I think the loving cup you have presented me is beautiful, and it shall have the place of honor among my treasures; but if it had only been a little smaller, I would have liked to wear it on a chain around my neck where it could bump against my heart and be a constant reminder of you all, every minute of the day."

Mary with Colonel Faneuf and Lt. Colonel Fred W. Petersen.

Mary handing Bud Heathorn  a smileage book (good for tickets at cantonment liberty theatres in the USA and France.)

The Little Torontonian Mary kissing the American flag at Colonel Faneuf's tent.

Mary presents the regiment's standard. (L-R) Lt. Colonel Petersen, Mary, Colonel Faneuf.

Mary on Dotty Dimple again.

No comments:

Post a Comment